News from last month (2019/04 edition)
As said in the previous edition, no Medium links this month. Still a lot to read :sweat_smile:.
Special things of the month
- The crazy: Physicists reverse time using quantum computer
- The long: A Complete Guide to useEffect
- The old: Which Programming Languages Use the Least Electricity?
A new era for Japan
The new name is 令和 (Reiwa); read more about it here.
Here is also an article from last year: Predicting Japan’s next era name.
Web & Frontend (HTML, CSS, JS...)
- Cache-Control for Civilians
- Throttle and Debounce
- Why can’t I set the font size of a visited link?
- KV Storage: the Web's First Built-in Module
- JS Foundation and Node.js Foundation join forces
- The Boat
- Wolfenstein: Ray Tracing On using WebGL1
- Writing Resilient Components
- @pika/web: A Future Without Webpack
- Babel 7.4.0 Released: core-js 3, static private methods and partial application
- Who has the fastest website in F1?
- React Router v5
- react-redux v7.0.0-beta.0
- You probably don’t need input type=“number”
- Architecting UIs for Change
- Simple & Boring
- Introducing the JetStream 2 Benchmark Suite
- I Used The Web For A Day On Internet Explorer 8
- Aren’t AMP Caches committing copyright infringement?
- How To Align Things In CSS
- 5 Reasons why AMP for email is bad.
WebAuthn, a new important standard:
- W3C and FIDO Alliance Finalize Web Standard for Secure, Passwordless Logins
- WebAuthn: A better alternative for securing our sensitive information online
Backend & other languages
- Quarkus: Supersonic Subatomic Java, Why Quarkus
- Java 12 is out!
- node-hiccup: NodeJS monitoring tool - ultra simple and non intrusive!
- Using Go Modules
- Cédric Champeau: I’m stepping down from the Apache Groovy project
- Announcing Sonic: A super-light alternative to Elasticsearch
- How Airbnb Simplified the Kubernetes Workflow for 1000+ Engineers
- In Defense of YAML
- Introducing WebSockets support for App Engine Flexible Environment
- Nvidia AI turns sketches into photorealistic landscapes in seconds
- Karen Uhlenbeck first woman to win the Abel Prize
- Fathers of the Deep Learning Revolution Receive ACM A.M. Turing Award
- Paywalls block scientific progress. Research should be open to everyone
Business, career, Level up
- End-user programming
- Defining a Distinguished Engineer
- IBM purged ‘gray hairs’ and ‘old heads’ as it launched ‘Millennial Corps’: lawsuit
- Nice People Matter? NPM may stand for Not Politely Managed – job cuts leave staff sore
- Teach Yourself Programming in Ten Years
- GIPHY's Open-Source Celebrity Detection Deep Learning Model
- Microsoft: Accessibility Insights
- Microsoft: Windows Calculator
Amazon vs Elastic:
- Keeping Open Source Open – Open Distro for Elasticsearch
- On "Open" Distros, Open Source, and Building a Company
Privacy, Digital Rights, Security
- Google knows where you live, work and your ‘secret interests’, new ‘Shadow Profile’ report says
- Now Facebook is allowing anyone to look you up using your security phone number
- Proton Technologies (ProtonMail, ProtonVPN): We have been awarded €2 million from the EU to further develop the Proton ecosystem
- Revealed: Facebook’s global lobbying against data privacy laws
- Why is no one signing their emails?
- ‘Delete Facebook NOW’: WhatsApp co-founder accuses Mark Zuckerberg of trading privacy for revenue after allowing ads on the platform
- Facebook acknowledges concerns over Cambridge Analytica emerged earlier than reported
- Keybase is not softer than TOFU
- Worried about Huawei? Take a closer look at Tencent
- Microsoft researchers find NSA-style backdoor in Huawei laptops
- Give Me Back My Monolith
- “Good Code Documents Itself” And Other Hilarious Jokes You Shouldn’t Tell Yourself
- Why vinyl records survive in the digital age
- Suse is once again an independent company
- The Colours of Tintin
- ‘We cannot know your grief, but we can walk with you at every stage’
- Why You Procrastinate (It Has Nothing to Do With Self-Control)
- Jōyō kanji variants: The curious case of 叱 and [censored]
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration - PubSpace
- RSS Is Better Than Twitter
Apple VS Spotify:
Other, in French:#links