News from last month (2019/09 edition)
Web & Frontend (HTML, CSS, JS, Design...)
- Getting to the Heart of Digital Accessibility
- Branching Out from the Great Divide
- What's new in Angular 8.2?
- The Octane Edition of Ember and Ember 2019-2020 Roadmap
- Everything You Need To Know About SVG
- ES proposal: globalThis
- Why is modern web development so complicated? A long yet hasty explanation: Part 1!
- Design Tokens and CSS: Systemising the Design of Components
- Microsoft UI Fabric: Create amazing experiences
- High-performance input handling on the web
- In Search of a Stack That Monitors the Quality and Complexity of CSS
- Logic-less JSX
- Announcing the WebKit Tracking Prevention Policy
- Making of Byrne’s Euclid
- ruffle: A Flash Player emulator written in Rust
- The Browser Monopoly
- WebAssembly Interface Types: Interoperate with All the Things!
- Where did the web’s personality go?
- pagemap: mini map for web pages
- A CSS Houdini library for making your site a little more #extra.
- locl: Internationalization (i18n) tools suite for Angular
- Everything I Know About Style Guides, Design Systems, and Component Libraries
- Why I have a problem with React the library and spend a lot of time talking to my therapist
- The How, and Why, of Creating an Empathetic Design System
- Going Buildless
- Announcing TypeScript 3.6
- How Web Content Can Affect Power Usage
- Pika Web: a new way to build Web Applications
- You fought in the framework wars?
- Pre-rendering static websites with wget
- Beyond The Browser: Getting Started With Serverless WebAssembly
- Please Add RSS Support To Your Site
Nowadays, it is all about Webpack and that is a shame. I was very glad to read these articles:
Backend & languages
It's from this month but... Go 1.13 is out!
- Why you should use a Go module proxy
- PROLOG Control in Six Slides
- Message Naming Conventions
- P++ idea: FAQ (php)
- Benchmarking Go vs Node vs Elixir
- Poetry: Python packaging and dependency management made easy
- Rails 6.0: Action Mailbox, Action Text, Multiple DBs, Parallel Testing, Webpacker by default, and Zeitwerk
- Purescript-native can now target Golang
- Why Clojure?
- Why Are So Many Developers Hating on Object-Oriented Programming?
- Safety at speed: in-place array algorithms from pure functional programs by safely re-using storage
- On the Relationship Between Static Analysis and Type Theory
- Kotlin targets wasm: Initial infrastructure
- The Monad Fear
- Python 3.8.0b4
Cloud & Ops/DevOps
- The Patterns of Scalable, Reliable, and Performant Large-Scale Systems
- Learn how to design large-scale systems
- Our journey from Jenkins to Jenkins X
- Why Does Developing on Kubernetes Suck?
Business, career, level up, thoughts
- Experiment, Simplify, Ship
- What Does a Coder Do If They Can't Type?
- Three Years of Misery Inside Google, the Happiest Company in Tech
- Google Employee Writes Memo About ‘The Burden of Being Black at Google’
- Is developer relations the same thing as community management?
- Blow to 10,000-hour rule as study finds practice doesn't always make perfect
- Languages, libraries & frameworks to avoid in 2020
- Things I Learnt The Hard Way (in 30 Years of Software Development)
- Do, Try, Consider — How we give product feedback at Asana
- Testing the boundaries of collaboration
Open source, Projects & Tools
- The Go Blog: Experiment, Simplify, Ship
- First HTTP/3 with curl
- Introducing git-revise
- Technical vision for Qt 6 - The next big release
- Wine on Windows 10. It works.
- FFmpeg 4.2 "Ada"
- Don’t Underestimate Grep Based Code Scanning
- adr-tools: Command-line tools for working with Architecture Decision Records
- Highlights from Git 2.23
- Maybe we Should Stop Creating Inscrutable CLIs
- We’re making email more modern with JMAP
- How to Build Good Software
- Git is eating the world
- webauthn-json: A WebAuthn API wrapper that translates to/from pure JSON using base64url and webauthn: W3C Web Authentication API Relying Party for Node.js and Express
- How I Wrote Shape Up
- How to Build Firefox
- Open Source is more than licenses
- NetNewsWire 5.0
- pkgtop: Interactive package manager and resource monitor designed for the GNU/Linux.
- A Hot Take on GitHub Actions
- dqlite: Embeddable, replicated and fault tolerant SQL engine
- You should not run your mail server because mail is hard.
- eBay's TSV Utilities: Command line utilities for tabular data files
Privacy, Digital Rights, Security
- Edward Snowden’s Memoir Is Coming in September
- Pentagon testing mass surveillance balloons across the US
- Sites using Facebook ‘Like’ button liable for data, EU court rules
- Picking the FB50 smart lock (CVE-2019-13143)
- Facebook loses facial recognition appeal, must face privacy class action
- Basic Electron Framework Exploitation (NOT A VULNERABILITY IN THE INDIVIDUAL APPS)
- Facebook Paid Contractors to Transcribe Users’ Audio Chats
- Twitter is displaying China-made ads attacking Hong Kong protesters and Information operations directed at Hong Kong
- Google's Software is Malware
- Apple's New WebKit Policy Takes a Hard Line for User Privacy
- I Visited 47 Sites. Hundreds of Trackers Followed Me.
- Facebook’s ‘Clear History’ tool arrives with ambiguous data privacy controls
- Your Pa$$word doesn't matter
- How U.S. Tech Giants Are Helping to Build China’s Surveillance State
- Cheater, cheater: Human Behavior Lab studies cheating as innate trait
- Warning to adults: Children notice everything
- Hail Félicette! French Space Cat Memorial Beginning to Take Shape
- Inside the quietest place on Earth
- Ronald Fisher, a Bad Cup of Tea, and the Birth of Modern Statistics
- Apples, tea and moderation – the 3 ingredients for a long life
- How do black holes destroy information and why is that a problem?
- Hundreds of extreme self-citing scientists revealed in new database
- Modern microprocessor built from complementary carbon nanotube transistors
- Modern text rendering with Linux: Overview
- Paged Out
- Playing god: Japan temple puts faith in robot priest
- Tourism Is Eating the World
- Protesters blocked Palantir's cafeteria to pressure the $20 billion big data company to drop its contracts with ICE
- Google plans to deprecate FTP URL support in Chrome
- Less than Half of Google Searches Now Result in a Click
- The Dawn of Modern Japanese Architecture
- Incredible Real-Time Visual Effects Tech Replaces Green Screens with LED Walls
- Trump says he's 'an environmentalist' after skipping G-7 climate meeting
- La pollution numérique, un fléau invisible
- Matrix 4 est confirmé avec Keanu Reeves, Carrie-Anne Moss, et Lana Wachowski aux commandes
- La société des hystériques