News from last month (2020/03 edition)
Interesting newsletter: Elastic Weekly !
Web & Frontend (HTML, CSS, JS, Design...)
- react-router v6.0.0-alpha.0 released
- ECMAScript spec proposal for Realms API
- Bring In The Bots, And Let Them Maintain Our Code!
- Understanding the ECMAScript spec, part 1
- useEffect(fn, ) is not the new componentDidMount()
- Old CSS, new CSS
- locl: Internationalization (i18n) tools suite for Angular
- Mint: The programming language for writing single page applications.
- Building an accessible autocomplete control
- CSS4 is a Bad Idea
- Version 9 of Angular Now Available — Project Ivy has arrived!
- Baretest — An extremely minimalistic alternative to Jest
- Fluid custom properties
- United States Web Design System
- The CSS Cascade. Or, How browsers resolve competing CSS styles
- An Interview With Rémi Parmentier: A SmashingConf Austin Speaker
- Introducing Firefox and Edge Support in Cypress 4.0
- Optimising SVGs for the Web
- “CSS4” Update
- Moving from React to Ember 2020
- Here’s what I didn’t know about list-style-type
- BADass Log In UI
- When CSS Blocks
- Announcing TypeScript 3.8
- Glow-Up: Bringing a Teenaged Website into the Modern World of SPA
- Capping image fidelity on ultra-high resolution devices
- Evil UX patterns for attention seeking apps.
- In-Browser Performance Linting With Feature Policies
- Selectors Explained
- Announcing Scala.js 1.0.0
- How They Fit Together: Transform, Translate, Rotate, Scale, and Offset
- Typing the Technical Interview in TypeScript
- Google Earth comes to more browsers, thanks to WebAssembly
- Why 543 KB keep me up at night
Backend & languages
- The origin of CAR and CDR in LISP
- The State of Go 2020 - What's new since Go 1.12?
- Crystal: Alpine-based Docker images
- Why Discord is switching from Go to Rust
- Static and dynamic typing in the Crystal programming language
- 🍺🐙 ZZ (drunk octopus) a rust inspired transpiler and symbolic verifier to bare metal C
- A Crystal Story: A container that sails!
- What are Lisp macros good for, anyway?
- The Evolution of a Go Programmer
- Rust's Freedom Flaws
- Crystal 0.33.0 released!
- Why Rust? Or: A Trip Report from my Satori with Rust and Functional Programming
- Agda vs. Coq vs. Idris
- Go 1.14 Release Notes
- Early Impressions of Go from a Rust Programmer
Cloud & Ops/DevOps
- Linux containers in 500 lines of code
- The State of Serverless
- Mirantis will continue to support and develop Docker Swarm
Science & Machine Learning
- YouTuber uses neural networks to upscale 1896 short film to 4K 60 fps
- FLIF - Free Lossless Image Format
- 'It’s a Moral Imperative:' Archivists Made a Directory of 5,000 Coronavirus Studies to Bypass Paywalls
- New study shows why unemployment is sometimes associated with an increase in happiness
- Mathematicians Discover Prime Conspiracy
- Are Pop Lyrics Getting More Repetitive?
- Smelling your lover’s shirt could improve your sleep
- Artificial intelligence yields new antibiotic
- Astronomy student discovers 17 new planets, including Earth-sized world
- Spending time in nature reduces stress, research finds
Open source, Projects & Tools
- A new hash algorithm for Git
- The limits of high speed rail
- Veloren: an open-world, open-source multiplayer voxel RPG
- Making Crash Bandicoot – part 1 and How Crash Bandicoot Hacked The Original Playstation
- Cytopia: The opensource Citybuilding game
Business, career, level up, thoughts
- Heroes and Juniors: Increasing Engineering Team Velocity
- Programmer Moneyball: Challenging the Myth of Individual Programmer Productivity
- The Basecamp Guide to Internal Communication
- It's Official: Open-Plan Offices Are Now the Dumbest Management Fad of All Time
- Work Is Work. In which returns diminish.
- Agile as Trauma
- Why are we so bad at software engineering?
- 12 Signs You’re Working in a Feature Factory
- How Big Technical Changes Happen at Slack
- How to Avoid the Complacency Trap
- What To Do When You Reach Number 1 On Hacker News
Privacy, Digital Rights, Security
- A new bill could punish web platforms for using end-to-end encryption
- Keybase.pub: Keybase public, signed files.
- Google: Oops, we may have sent your private Google Photos videos to strangers
- Sacha Baron Cohen tells Mark Zuckerberg 'history will judge you harshly — if we still have historians after you help destroy democracy'
- ‘The intelligence coup of the century’ For decades, the CIA read the encrypted communications of allies and adversaries.
- US says it can prove Huawei has backdoor access to mobile-phone networks
- MIT researchers identify security vulnerabilities in voting app
- Facebook Dating launch blocked in Europe after it fails to show privacy workings
- Facebook didn’t mark ads as ads for blind people for almost 2 years
- Google users in UK to lose EU data protection
- Chrome is ditching third-party cookies because Google wants your data all to itself
- Firefox turns controversial new encryption on by default in the US
- Reddit’s CEO calls TikTok ‘parasitic,’ ‘terrifying,’ and ‘spyware’
- Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg says the company just isn't 'capable' of fact-checking political ads
- Pablo Escobar's hippos have become an invasive species in Colombia
- The Best Little Museum You Never Visited in Paris
- Ask HN: What to avoid in life?
- Microsoft Teams goes down after Microsoft forgot to renew a certificate
- Google Maps Hacks
- Finland to offer new fathers as much paid leave as mothers
- Are we all members of the Voluntary Human Extinction Movement?
- FBI is investigating more than 1,000 cases of Chinese theft of US technology
- You Should Write Blogs
- An Indian couple has been buying land near a tiger reserve and letting the forest grow back
- The Computer Scientist Responsible for Cut, Copy, and Paste, Has Passed Away
- 13,000 Missing Flights: The Global Consequences of the Coronavirus
- Cycling through ALL THE STREETS in central London
- Banksy: what happens when someone vandalises graffiti – and who owns it anyway?
- Burly bikers come together in court to help kids feel safe as they face abusers that hurt them
- Public transport will now be free in Luxembourg
- A high school student created a fake 2020 candidate. Twitter verified it