News from last month (2020/04 edition)
I hope you are all safe.
Web & Frontend (HTML, CSS, JS, Design...)
- Debug z-index stacking content with 3D View in the Microsoft Edge DevTools
- When 255 × 0 does not Equal Zero
- Stop using isLoading booleans
- How holistic UX design increased GitLab.com free trial signups
- Why Svelte is our choice for a large web project in 2020
- Accessible SVGs: Inclusiveness Beyond Patterns
- Lighthouse bookmarklet
- The CSS Podcast
- CSS Viewport Units
- scriptum is a no-frills functional programming library and a learning course based on it.
- It's 2020, and browsers can do amazing stuff.
- Introducing Gretchen: Making Fetch Happen in TypeScript
- Introduction to AntV
- How to Cancel a Fetch Request
- Learn D3: Introduction
- WebAssembly branching instructions, by example
- Selte Society Day: April 26th
- colors.lol: Overly descriptive color palettes.
- CSS Findings From The New Facebook Design
Backend & languages
- Towards Crystal 1.0
- Rust: Recent and future pattern matching improvements
- Elixir-Style Actors in Go
- Visual Arrow Syntax
- The Arrival of Java 14!
zig cc: a Powerful Drop-In Replacement for GCC/Clang
- 10 Most(ly dead) Influential Programming Languages
- Pros and Cons of Rust and Go
Cloud & Ops/DevOps
Science & Machine Learning
- Relating Natural Language Aptitude to Individual Differences in Learning Programming Languages
- Protein discovered inside a meteorite
- Folding@home takes up the fight against COVID-19 / 2019-nCoV
- Scientists shed light on mystery of dark matter
- How the Mathematical Conundrum Called the ‘Knapsack Problem’ Is All Around Us
- 'Dead Sea Scrolls' at the Museum of the Bible are all forgeries
- The proximal origin of SARS-CoV-2
- NASA Fixes Mars Lander By Telling It to Hit Itself With a Shovel
- Transduction of the Geomagnetic Field as Evidenced from alpha-Band Activity in the Human Brain
- Obama’s 2008 election improved mental health of black men, research shows
- Open Access to ACM Digital Library During Coronavirus Pandemic
Open source, Projects & Tools
- deep-clean: A Kotlin script that nukes all build caches from Gradle/Android projects. Useful when Gradle or the IDE let you down :broken_heart:
- FIXME report: a simple tool to automate issues creation directly from
// FIXMEcomments in your code
- zoxide: A fast cd command that learns your habits
- The Joy of modal editors
- curl write-out JSON
- triage: Interactive command-line GitHub issue & notification triaging tool.
- Prettier 2.0 “2020”
- How Prince of Persia Defeated Apple II's Memory Limitations
- Selenium-python but better: Helium is the best Python library for web automation.
- Free software for remote working
- Widelands is a free, open source real-time strategy game with singleplayer campaigns and a multiplayer mode.
- On-demand Golang binaries
Business, career, level up, thoughts
- Keep digging
- Engineering Manager Reading Guide
- Being strong is being real
- A creative person's guide to negotiating
- My game development goals for 2020
- GitLab 2020 Remote Work Report Highlights Key Motivators for Remote Work
- Brave accuses Google of using 'hopelessly vague' privacy policies that breach GDPR
- Set up your remote team
- Build stuff!
- Netflix Director of Inclusion Says Women Should Realize How Incredible They Are
Privacy, Digital Rights, Security
- Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt - the Barriers to Router Freedom in Germany
- DuckDuckGo Tracker Radar Exposes Hidden Tracking
- The Uncensored Library
- What Are My Photos Revealing About Me?
- TikTok 'tried to filter out videos from ugly, poor or disabled users'
- Microsoft Edge Is The Least Private Browser, Study Finds
- Google Says It Doesn’t 'Sell' Your Data. Here’s How the Company Shares, Monetizes, and Exploits It.
- Snowden warns: The surveillance states we’re creating now will outlast the coronavirus
- Google cancels Cloud Next because of coronavirus, goes online-only
- Moznet IRC is dead; long live Mozilla Matrix!
- The “Junk Mail” Men: Selling Your Data for over a Century
- Fukushima powers up one of world's biggest hydrogen plants
- Canada moves to criminalize LGBTQ+ 'conversion therapy'
- The Split Keyboard: An Ergonomics Success Story
- Path dependence
- The Joy of modal editors
- What Does the Symmetry of Your Logo Say About Your Brand?
- New vaccines must not be monopolised, G7 tells Donald Trump
- Minecraft Minimalist Mobs Series I
- Capitalism’s Favorite Drug: The dark history of how coffee took over the world
- Gobekli Tepe: The World’s First Temple?
- John Carpenter Announces Release Dates for “They Live” Sequels “They Laugh” and “They Love”
- Also Starring Austin
- Dr. Dre’s The Chronic to Be Archived in Library of Congress
- Return to the 36 Chambers: The Dirty Version