News from last month (2020/08 edition)
Web & Frontend (HTML, CSS, JS, Design...)
- Unearthing ClojureScript for Front-end Development, repo
- The design systems between us.
- Ethan Marcotte: "The design systems between us"
- Performance - CSS Painting vs. CSS Houdini Paint API
- LearnUI with ClojureScript and reframe
- Skeuomorphism is making a comeback
- Stop mocking fetch
- What's new in Angular 10.0?
- Aligning Logo Images in CSS
- Dark ages of the Web
- A look at the Gemini protocol: a brutally simple alternative to the web
- Uncommon CSS Properties
- The Comeback of Fun in Visual Design
- CSS Painting Order
- The Ultimate Guide With All The Secrets You Will Need To Know To Become A Fabulous Design Unicorn
- SWR: React Hooks for data fetching
- whatthefuck.is · a closure
- Introducing React Spectrum
- Locking Down Your Website Scripts with CSP, Hashes, Nonces and Report URI
- What I learned about prototyping after four years at Disney
- What's new in Web Payments
- Svelte <3 TypeScript
- 143: Rich Harris - Svelte and Defending the Modern Web
- Design Docs at Google
- GPT-3 Design Hype
- Generative Design is Doomed to Fail
- All the Ways to Make a Web Component - June 2020 Update
- Cleaning up form UI
- WAFlash is a WebAssembly AS2/AS3 Flash compatible player
- Shoelace: A forward-thinking library of web components.
- A CSS-only, animated, wrapping underline.
- A Mental Model to think in TypeScript
- A language without letters, by Japanese graphic designer Yukio Ota
- Is it Good Design? Well, yeah.
- Designing Adaptive Components, Beyond Responsive Breakpoints
- Modern CSS Techniques To Improve Legibility
- What does 100% mean in CSS?
En français / In French:
Backend & languages
- Why Go's Error Handling is Awesome
- DNS Resolution and Records for Developers
- Myths about /dev/urandom
- The Frink is Good, the Unit is Evil
- The problem might not be COBOL
- Announcing the Zig Software Foundation
- Code Only Says What it Does and Millions of Tiny Databases
- The Vale Programming Language
- A First Look at Crystal Programming Language and its Ecosystem
- Introducing Domain-Oriented Microservice Architecture
- The Coin Change problem in ATS, Rust, and Zig - a comparison
Cloud & Ops/DevOps
- SLO Adoption at Twitter
- Suse acquires Kubernetes management platform Rancher Labs
- The world in which IPv6 was a good design
En français / In French:
Science, Machine Learning
- Close and Tranquil Solar System Has Astronomers Excited
- How many jobs can be done at home?
- OpenAI's GPT-3 may be the biggest thing since bitcoin
- I asked GPT-3 to make a presentation for me
- Timeless Timing Attacks:Exploiting Concurrency to Leak Secrets over Remote Connections
- What did cities sound like during the lockdown?
Open source, Projects & Tools
- Open source game developer Perttu Ahola talks about Minetest with Wikinews
- Abstract Wikipedia/July 2020 announcement
- Building Subversion
- entr: A utility for running arbitrary commands when files change
- WindowSwap: Open a new window somewhere in the world
- GitHub Archive Program: the journey of the world's open source code to the Arctic
- How lemlist Grew to +10,000 Paying Customers with Meteor.
- Nushell 0.17.0
- Brand Indicators for Message Identification
- semgrep: Lightweight static analysis for many languages.
- @property: giving superpowers to CSS variables
- Highlights from Git 2.28
- Vim³ "Most people use vim in two stupid dimensions. But not me. I use it in three."
- macintosh.js: A virtual Apple Macintosh with System 8, running in Electron. I'm sorry.
Business, career, level up, thoughts
- Fighting the urgency bias: How to stop "urgent" tasks from getting in the way of your long-term goals
- How You Can Feel Victimized by Goals
Privacy, Digital Rights, Security
- Facebook is out of control. If it were a country it would be North Korea
- iOS 14 will require apps permission from users to track, causing complaints from Google, Facebook and other companies
- Facebook Just Failed Its First Ever Civil Rights Audit
- The value of Tor and anonymous contributions to Wikipedia
- EU throws new rule book at Google, tech giants in competition search
- How racial bias works
- China Suppression Of Uighur Minorities Meets U.N. Definition Of Genocide, Report Says
- A Beginner's Guide to Japanese Rock on Bandcamp
- Japanese Aqarium's Flowchart Illustrates the Complex Relationships of Their Penguins
- A Typology of Dumplings
- Rethink what email can do for you
- AOC represents the future of America: women who refuse to be silenced
- Earliest humans stayed at the Americas ‘oldest hotel' in Mexican cave
- Black Print: The fascinating story of African American print culture; its authors, editors, journalists, printers and publishers. From protest pamphlets to the first Black newspapers and books.
- Defining the '90s Music Canon - Quantifying the songs that will characterize the '90s
En français / In French:
- Deux ex-agents de la DGSE condamnés pour trahison au profit de la Chine
- Comment identifier un pervers narcissique : 10 défauts à repérer !! et Comment se défendre d'un Pervers narcissique : 8 stratégies à mettre en place !!
- Interview de Sébastien Rohaut, auteur de livres notamment sur Linux
- « On lunch juste après mon call avec la team sales ? »