News from last month (2020/11 edition)
Web (HTML, CSS, JS, Design...)
- Design better by avoiding your cognitive biases
- Why Tailwind CSS
- Building the Woke Web: Web Accessibility, Inclusion & Social Justice
- What does accessibility mean to me?
- The Widening Responsibility for Front-End Developers
- Animating Number Counters
- Webpack 5 Headache
- Thinking Outside the Box with CSS Grid
- Rust meets the web - a clash of programming paradigms
- State-Switch Controls: The Infamous Case of the "Mute" Button
- cq: A minimal container query web component
- What is the
- Why great design is timeless
- Useful Custom Hooks for Tired React Devs
- An Intuition for Lisp Syntax
- Prevent layout shifts with CSS grid stacks
- Next.js 10
- Comparing Static Site Generator Build Times
- If not SPAs, What?
- Google’s new logos are bad
- Putting Plain Language to the Test
En français / In French:
Backend & languages
- Annoying things in Scala 2 that’ll be (mostly) gone in Scala 3
- Monolith -> Services: Theory & Practice
- You're Allowed To Write Slow Rust Code
- Real time communication at scale with Elixir at Discord
- Nim Version 1.4.0 released
- Behind the feature: the hidden challenges of autosave
- Start learning the Scala 3 today. Online. For free.
- Link Previews: How a Simple Feature Can Have Privacy and Security Risks
- Swift Concurrency Roadmap
- Netflix Android and iOS Studio Apps — now powered by Kotlin Multiplatform
Cloud & Ops/DevOps
- YAML: how do I break a string over multiple lines?
- Minecraft as a k8s admin tool
- Practices as a Platform Engineer
- Reducing our Carbon Docker image size further!
- Fun experiment with Kubernetes: live migration of a cluster from a cloud provider to another
- Greenland could lose more ice this century than it has in 12,000 years
- Watch cars learn: Self driving cars using NEAT
- Low level alcohol use during pregnancy can impact child's brain development
- Nobel Prize for Medicine goes to Hepatitis C discovery
- We Now Have Proof a Supernova Exploded Perilously Close to Earth 2.5 Million Years Ago
- Toothless dinosaur with just two fingers discovered
- Phone Calls Help Create Closer Bonds Than Texting
- New measurements of the solar spectrum verify Einstein’s theory of General Relativity
- Humans are born with brains ‘prewired’ to see words
- NASA Scientists Discover ‘Weird’ Molecule in Titan’s Atmosphere
- NASA’s SOFIA Discovers Water on Sunlit Surface of Moon
- Media Multitasking Disrupts Memory, Even in Young Adults
- New analysis shows ancient dogs and humans shared a surprising bond
- What do 10 million stars look like?
Open source, Projects & Tools
- Bit is a modern Git CLI
- ScummVM: A merger
- Open source licensing and why we're changing Plausible to the AGPL license
- Search engines & libraries: an overview
- make help - Well documented Makefiles
- I enforced the AGPL on my code, here's how it went
- Firefox: The Jewel^WEmbarassment of Open Source
- Platypus is a developer tool that creates native Mac applications from command line scripts
- Mobilizon. Your events. Your groups. Your data.
- Fedora 33 is officially here!
- Bye htop, hello bashtop
X / Wayland
- It's Time To Admit It: The X.Org Server Is Abandonware
- on abandoning the X server
- Adam Jackson On The State Of The X.Org Server In 2020
- Discussions on: HN, r/opensource, r/linux_gaming
Currently, the youtube-dl repository is down:
More on this subject:
- Asking Microsoft to resign from the RIAA over youtube-dl takedown demand
- Free software projects on GitHub and DMCA (from 2017)
Business, career, level up, thoughts
- The Facebook Data Engineer Interview
- On Call Shouldn’t Suck: A Guide For Managers
- When to leave the best job ever.
- The Problem of Overfitting in Tech Hiring
- Microsoft is letting more employees work from home permanently
- 40 Favorite Interview Questions from Some of the Sharpest Folks We Know
- Job Title: It’s Complicated
- ArsDigita: From Start-Up to Bust-Up
- Engaging Your Employees Is Good, but Don’t Stop There
- What’s the Role of Developer Experience in Programming Languages Research?
- What Becoming an Engineering Manager Feels Like
- Employers Should Reward Workers for Accomplishments, Not Hours Worked
En français / In French:
Privacy, Digital Rights, Security
- You don't own your Kindle books, Amazon reminds customer
- We Hacked Apple for 3 Months: Here’s What We Found
- Exponential growth in DDoS attack volumes
- Your Technology Is Tracking You. Take These Steps For Better Online Privacy
- Facebook Testing Implications of Privacy-Invading Tech By Invading People’s Privacy
- FBI warns ransomware assault threatens US healthcare system
- Tell Us How You Want to Modify and Repair the Devices in Your Life
- It’s 2020: Why Is The Internet Still Treated Like A Luxury, Not A Utility?
En français / In French:
- October surprise
- ‘Wayne’s World’ & Me
- Hacker Uploads Own Fingerprints To Crime Scene In Dumbest Cyber Attack Ever
- The US military and Elon Musk are planning a 7,500-mph rocket that can deliver weapons anywhere in the world in an hour
- Row scrolling for parallax effects
- cristiano bianchi and kristina drapić document pyongyang, north korea's 'model city'
- Ikea to buy back used furniture in recycling push
- Are you a bad person if you work at Facebook?
- Feels Good Man: An Interview with Giorgio Angelini
- My chatbot is dead Why yours should probably be too
- Asking Better Questions
- How to answer questions in a helpful way
- Minecraft: Java Edition is moving house
- Russia suspected of Cold War-style microwave attack on CIA agents in Australia
- iPhone 12 Pro so expensive in India that you can fly to Dubai to buy it, come back, and still save money
- “Reverse Toonification” of Pixar Characters
- "The Map" is a short documentary about a revolutionary redesign of New York City's iconic subway map.
- What Was BeOS, and Why Did People Love It?
- Layer 8
- Quest 2 has allegedly been jailbroken, bypassing Facebook login requirement
- I violated a code of conduct and Public Apology to Jeremy Howard
- O'reilly: The Animal Menagerie
- QAnon and the Emergence of the Unreal
En français / In French:#links