News from last month (2021/06 edition)
Before we start
Update your RSS feeds!
- For the English part: https://ehret.me/en/index.xml is replaced by https://ehret.me/en/rss.xml
- For the French part: https://ehret.me/fr/index.xml is replaced by https://ehret.me/fr/rss.xml
Before we start 2
A friend asked me previously about these "News from last month" posts. Here are a few details!
I like to read news and other articles. This is part of many moments in my day. Maybe too many moments, that is another story. When I read something interesting, that I want to keep track, I send it to my Pinboard.
I go through all links again when the time comes to write these articles, to make sure all links are still valid. This part is not automated (yet). I started adding tags to most of the links, I need to play a bit with the API to generate the list automatically.
In all categories, a lot of links come from Reddit and Twitter, also from some friends, and a few newsletters. For example:
- A lot of design related links are either from Sidebar
- I often steal links from emmy·in·the·mix's "Tea break" posts
- Frontend Horse: Techniques to get you galloping
- Julia Evans: great articles about many technical things
I am aware of The Last Web Page, but I refuse to open it yet!
Web (HTML, CSS, JS, Design...)
And now, the usual links:
- How we use Web Components at GitHub
- fit-content and fit-content()
- Bootstrap 5
- Container Queries Explainer & Proposal
- Bringing Wikipedia to the homescreen on iOS
- Create better conference slides and presentations
- CSS Hell: Collection of common CSS mistakes, and how to fix them
- A Look at Tailwind CSS
- Discover Figma: A Practical Guide.
- The Humble Element And Core Web Vitals
- Introducing Observable Plot
- Component-level art direction with CSS Container Queries
- Debugging vertical layouts in 2021
- What's new in Angular 12.0?
- No, Utility Classes Aren't the Same As Inline Styles
- Security headers quick reference
- margin-margin-revolution.css: Never forget the CSS margin order with this game.
- Who has the fastest F1 website in 2021? Part 1
- Your browser and my browser see different colors
- A New Way To Reduce Font Loading Impact: CSS Font Descriptors
- Jest 27: New Defaults for Jest, 2021 edition ⏩
Backend & languages
- How I Hacked Google App Engine: Anatomy of a Java Bytecode Exploit
- Go 1.16.4 and Go 1.15.12 are released
- How Discord Stores Billions of Messages and How Discord Indexes Billions of Messages
- Half a million lines of Go
- Scala 3 is here!🎉🎉🎉
- Moleculer: Progressive microservices framework for Node.js.
- Nim Version 1.4.8 released
- Perl can do that now!
- Functional programming in Go with generics
- Gio implements portable immediate mode GUI programs in Go.
Other things, good practices, thoughts etc
- The Scala Center Action Towards a More Safe and Respectful Community Environment
- Sexism, Racism, Toxic Positivity, and TailwindCSS
- Ideas I copied to help steal more ideas
- Three techniques to get back to code faster after a meeting
- Map of the Internet 2021
En français / In French:
Cloud & Ops/DevOps
Science, Data, AI
- Harvard scientists create gene-editing tool that could rival CRISPR
- Machine Learning is a Marvelously Executed Scam
- Tardigrade Survival Limits in High-Speed Impacts—Implications for Panspermia and Collection of Samples from Plumes Emitted by Ice Worlds
- What can we do about Bias in AI?
- Study: Don’t count on caffeine to fight sleep deprivation
- Activists Mobilize to Fight Censorship and Save Open Science
En français / In French:
Open source, Projects & Tools
- google/zx: A tool for writing better scripts
- Linus Torvalds on Why Open Source Solves the Biggest Problems
- “I could rewrite curl”
- logux/state: A tiny (152 bytes) state manager for React/Preact/Vue/Svelte with many atomic tree-shakable stores
Business, career, level up, thoughts
- The problem is work
- Why “Idea” People Are Risky and What to Do About It
- Hello, my name is Manon and I am burned out.
- The 80% energy principle
- Motivational Keynote: WDS
- What Introverts Want Extroverts To Know About Workplace Collaboration
- We need to talk about your Q3 roadmap
Privacy, Digital Rights, Security
- Facebook and Instagram notices in iOS apps tell users tracking helps keep them ‘free of charge’
- Deepfake satellite imagery poses a not-so-distant threat, warn geographers
- The Instagram ads Facebook won't show you
- 80% of the 22 million comments on net neutrality rollback were fake, investigation finds
- How China turned a prize-winning iPhone hack against the Uyghurs
- Op-Ed: Facebook Oversight Board’s ruling on Trump misses the big picture
- Frag Attacks: We present three security design flaws in Wi-Fi and widepread implementation flaws. These can be abused to exfiltrate user data and attack local devices.
- The bizarre story of the inventor of ransomware
- Google abuse of dominant position: some facts about the Google Android operating system and personal data collection.
- If Apple is the only organisation capable of defending our privacy, it really is time to worry
En français / In French:
- 12 Incredible Masterpieces That Show the Oneness of Mathematics and Design
- Ricky Gervais To Launch Paid-For Podcast Series ‘Absolutely Mental’ With Neuroscientist Sam Harris
- Buying a Bitcoin emits 195x as much CO₂ as buying an iPhone
- Mother Gaia
- Why are song lyrics becoming simpler? a time series analysis of lyrical complexity in six decades of American popular music
- Preserving Syrian design history and graphics in the Arab world: Meet the Syrian Design Archive
- Where in the World is Q? Clues from Image Metadata
- How childhood bullying inspired this Lego VP to design an LGBTQ set
- Mdou Moctar: Tiny Desk (Home) Concert
En français / In French:#links