To 2022 and beyond
Hello, is it me you're looking for? I hope you are doing well.
I joined the CyberPeace Institute at the end of 2020 and I am learning a lot since I joined! I am part of a team with various expertises (cybercrime investigators, digital forensics experts etc.) which is quite fascinating. I think that officially we say that we "develop an innovative analytical framework and forensics capabilities".
I have been involved in multiple subjects, for example:
- Helped with the tools selection for the framework.
- Worked on Cyber Incident Tracer #HEALTH and super happy with my dev buddy who took care of the charts part of the website!
- Set up CI/CD with GitLab Pipelines (I spent weeks on that).
- Contributed to Helm packages for 3rd party apps (for example MISP, OpenCTI).
- Development of a few internal apps.
And helped other teams:
- Helped a lot with the website (yes, WordPress!): digged many performance issues, did a lot of cleaning.
- Played a lot with Jira to create boards.
- Created some scraping script to pull some data.
On the dev side:
- For our APIs, we use Go. It is the language at the intersection of multiple persons, I may explore other languages secretly in 2022.
- For our web applications, we are focusing on React and I use Svelte / SvelteKit for my mini-projects.
- We use multiple storage for our data, particularly ArangoDB which is nice until you try to connect something to it, oh wait you can't because no jdbc.
- We are on GCP, and I am quite happy because we will try a smaller provider (ExoScale).
And I survived Kubernetes! Many thanks to some old friends (Papy, Prune, Vincent, Kaneda) for their precious help!
About this website:
- Moved to SvelteKit + Contentful after killing beulogue.
- I started a Museum of Poorly Photographed Art to remove the dust from pictures I take when I visit museums. I will add more content in 2022.
- I added a "badidon" section (in French) on my website with something stupid. I'll try to find the courage and time to explore more and add content to this section.
- It seems that the "News from last month" posts are read by other persons than me (or you are a lot in my head), I will continue that. Maybe try to finally automate it a little bit (the workflow has already been improved).
As usual I did some amazing contribution to open source projects:
Lazy year was lazy !
Strava says I did 1267kms; a lot less than last year, but I did some nice rides:
- Genève => Genève (🚴♂️ 180.11km)
- Le Salève de long en large (🚴♂️ 75.9km, 🚵♂️ 1801m)
- Genève <=> Samoëns (🚴♂️ 101.8 km)
- Genève => Col de la Colombière => Annecy => Genève (🚴♂️ 138.51km, 🚵♂️ 2039m)
- Genève => Bellegarde => Col de la faucille => Genève (🚴♂️ 115.06km, 🚵♂️ 1807m)
I continued cooking for a few months, I made some breads and I have never felt so French! I had to stop for a few months for personal reasons but now I can get back into it. Yeah!
I also upgraded my cookies level and I am getting close to what I want: some sablés which are cooked but not brown. Still a few tests to do :).
We were able to go to France to see the family a few times.
We also went to Fribourg in July:
And Thun / Bern in September:
We also went to the Musée Rath, part of the Musée d'Art et d'Histoire de Genève for a tête à tête with some art pieces, it was amazing:
I started doing some crochet to make a beanie for the baby (this is the moment when you say "whaaaat" and yes, we have a daughter now). I have been quite lazy at the end of the year. I have to finish a cardigan for my wife.
I also bought a nice ukulele but I don't have much time to practice.
I tried to do some music review in the French part of my website, but it takes more time than I thought. I'd like to try again in 2022.
Some nice albums for your ears:
- Armand Hammer & The Alchemist - Haram
- Black Country, New Road - For the first time
- black midi - Cavalcade
- Blu - The Color Blu(e)
- Boldy James & The Alchemist - Level Tipping Scales in Super Tecmo Bo
- Carcass - Torn Arteries
- Converge & Chelsea Wolfe - Bloodmoon: I
- DARKSIDE - Spiral
- Genesis Owusu - Smiling with No Teeth
- Injury Reserve - By the Time I Get to Phoenix
- JPEGMAFIA - LP!
- Juçara Marçal - Delta Estácio Blues
- Lil Nas X - MONTERO
- LINGUA IGNOTA - SINNER GET READY
- Little Simz - Sometimes I Might Be Introvert (Album)
- Mdou Moctar - Afrique Victime
- Porter Robinson - Nurture (see this live)
- Panopticon - ...And Again Into The Light
- st. vincent - Daddy's Home
- Tyler, The Creator - CALL ME IF YOU GET LOST
- Vince Staples - Vince Staples
- Yola - Stand For Myself
And we have been listening to a lot of classical music.
Movies I liked:
- CODA (2021 film) - Wikipedia
- Cruella (film) - Wikipedia
- Dune (2021 film) - Wikipedia
- Free Guy - Wikipedia
- Man on Wire - Wikipedia
- Mandibles (film) - Wikipedia
- Nobody (2021 film) - Wikipedia
- One Child Nation - Wikipedia
- Palmer (film) - Wikipedia
- Promising Young Woman - Wikipedia
- Psych 3: This Is Gus - Wikipedia; I have since started to watch the whole TV show again... For the fourth time.
- Raya and the Last Dragon - Wikipedia
- Swan Song (2021 Benjamin Cleary film) - Wikipedia
- The Matrix Resurrections - Wikipedia; I want to watch the whole series again, even Matrix 2 and 3.
- The Mitchells vs. the Machines - Wikipedia
- The Suicide Squad (film) - Wikipedia
- Zack Snyder's Justice League - Wikipedia
TV shows I liked:
- A Million Little Things - Wikipedia
- Cruel Summer (TV series) - Wikipedia
- Dexter: New Blood - Wikipedia
- Foundation (TV series) - Wikipedia
- Friends - Wikipedia; finally finished the whole thing!
- Made for Love (TV series) - Wikipedia
- Malcolm in the Middle - Wikipedia; finally finished the whole thing!
- Resident Alien (TV series) - Wikipedia
- Schmigadoon! - Wikipedia
- SpongeBob SquarePants - Wikipedia; finished 11 seasons.
- Tacoma FD - Wikipedia
- Ted Lasso - Wikipedia
- The Falcon and the Winter Soldier - Wikipedia
- The Shrink Next Door (miniseries) - Wikipedia
- WandaVision - Wikipedia
- Wellington Paranormal - Wikipedia
- What We Do in the Shadows (TV series) - Wikipedia
Still spending to much time reading stuff on the Internet... But here are some books I finished last year:
- Grokking Simplicity - Taming complex software with functional thinking
- The Story of the Streets
- Capital and Ideology - Wikipedia
- RESET: Reclaiming the Internet for Civil Society - RONALD DEIBERT
- Ise, poétesse et dame de cour - Editions Picquier (in French)
And I am in the middle of La Horde du Contrevent (in French).
In 2022 I want to read Warez: The Infrastructure and Aesthetics of Piracy.
- WHAT THE GOLF? is great! Innovative and fun, and WTF.
- Cozy Grove - come for the view, stay for the friends: cute but a bit boring. The objects to find are often too small (played on my phone) and cooking requires rare items which is quite frustrating.
- #DRIVE - An Endless Driving Video Game, it is nice!
- A lot of Good Sudoku
- Started CyberPunk 2077, it is not as fun as I expected. Some things are too complex for nothing (braindance, body mods, hacking...), other elements make the game a bit boring (capabilities when upgrading levels, driving which feels a bit clunky, dialogs are so slow I spent more time sitting and talking to NPCs than actually doing things). I almost stopped but got hooked when Keanu Reeves arrives in the game.
- Started Watch Dogs 2: I really enjoyed the first one, and I like the start of this one!
Happy new year!
Happy New Year to all those who will have a good year. Good luck and hang in there for the others, 2023 will be there promptly.
If you are still reading, know that I love you very much. Let's end this with a lovely song: black midi - John L - YouTube#personalbranling