Y U NO BE NICE ?!?!?!
I just read your tweet about how you don't like it. Actually, let me rephrase my last sentence: I just read your tweet about how you don't explain why you don't like it. Your open criticism is sad and you should allow a real conversation about this subject instead of stubbornly bashing it.
Ok, it's my fault too
I have made the same mistake. I also replied "this idea sucks" to someone, without even trying or giving it a real thought. And without thinking about how the other person could react. Will he/she be: angry / feeding the troll / do nothing ? I am pretty sure there will be no reaction, because I don't deserve one.
I admit it, my remark was stupid. Now, you made the same mistake. Everything has its advantages and drawbacks. We need this diversity and we should embrace it instead of criticize with no reason.
I will never kill «trolls», with what I want to share with you, but here are a few lines about "bashing for pleasure".
You are not alone
I just want to give you an example:
You see ?
Now, how about some numbers:
|Less||11777||11200 (@cloudhead)||go !|
|Justin Bieber||0||60200000||go !|
(The last line is only present to prove that numbers don't have any sense.)
Both Sass and Less are active projects, used by a lot of people and with a great community. How do you understand this guy's reaction ? I don't. Sorry.
For me, the best answer to this remark was the one that came from the Sass team:
Let me experiment
- Let me be curious and try stuff.
- Let me reinvent the wheel.
- Let me fail.
- Let me learn.
There are a lot of tools, libraries and frameworks in the interwebs. They don't have the same goal or the same maturity.
Let's stop bashing them. Let's give them relevant feedback, or better: contribution !
It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters, in the end. Ursula K. Le Guin
I love this tweet from Addy Osmani and the answer. I want to stop being a douchebag and I hope you will too.
You are kind of my enlightenment to try to not being a douche. Honestly, thank you. I do not hope that you will change radically. I just hope that you will think before saying.
I invite you to read these articles:
- Programmers: Please don't ever say this to beginners ... by @pgbovine
- You’re not wrong, you’re just an asshole. by @stevestp
- Sur la formation de la plèbe by @GoOz (in french)
- L’intégration web, cette leçon d’humilité by @kReEsTaL (in french)
- This article was originally entitled "Lovers gonna love", an article to non-constructive and not-so-funny trolls (during december 2014).
- Then, it was intended to be a "Be nice 101", like a crash course of positivism (january 2015).
- Finally, you may be reading its final form, kind of a letter (february 2015). With meme images, and gifs. And ponys. I like ponys.
- Sorry, I removed the gifs and ponys. They'll come back in another post ;)
- I hope you like it.