News from last month (2019/08 edition)
2019-08-06Last modified on 2022-04-27
- Popup Trombone
- buttsss: A collection of beautiful round butt illustrations
- The Art Of Warez
- Teach Your Child to Beatbox Using Everyday Words
- GitHub starts blocking developers in countries facing US trade sanctions
- GitHub do not ban us from open source world :iran:
- Yellow badges are back. This time not by Nazi Germany & not for Jews, but by U.S. tech companies
A nice oldie: Dark Matter Developers: The Unseen 99% and a recent article about the subject: The Real Dark Web
Web & Frontend (HTML, CSS, JS, Design...)
- Screenreader-aware Design Tools and Lona
- Angular Elements Under the hood
- YARN vs NPM (vs pnpm) in 2019: comparison and verdict
- Why is my webpack build slow?
- What I Like About Vue
- Frontend Design, React, and a Bridge over the Great Divide
- How using component-based design helps us build faster
- Web Rendering Proxy: Use vintage, historical, legacy browsers on modern web
- Analysis of Google Keep WebAssembly module
- The Challenges with Single Toggle Buttons
- 8 tips for writing great usability tasks
- HTTP Security Headers - A Complete Guide
- A Less Risky Differential Serving Pattern
- The Simplest Way to Load CSS Asynchronously
- Dissecting A Dweet: Mini Black Hole
- Browsers are pretty good at loading pages, it turns out
- Effector: The state manager
- Design History of Adobe Photoshop
- Introducing Fusion.js: A Plugin-based Universal Web Framework
- Google CodeLab: Your First WebAuthn
- Exploring Sapper + Svelte: A quick tutorial
- Mithril 2.x is out !
- Treat: Themeable, statically extracted CSS‑in‑JS with near‑zero runtime.
- tsdoc: A doc comment standard for the TypeScript language
- Zdog: Round, flat, designer-friendly pseudo-3D engine for canvas & SVG
- Lessons Learned from a Year of Testing the Web Platform
- What's new in Angular 8.2?
- I Used The Web For A Day On A 50 MB Budget
- The HTML Handbook
- Svelte 2 vs 3: Cheat Sheet
- react-entities: Simplest app state management for React
Older, and interesting:
- Distributed Vue.js Applications Part 1: Loading Components via HTTP and Distributed Vue.js Applications Part 2: Pushing Content and Component Updates to the Client
- Don’t Build That App!
- CSSWG: Why not use $ for variable references?
Backend & other languages
- Compiler for the Mirth programming language, a type-safe functional Forth.
- Do-nothing scripting: the key to gradual automation
- «Go Proposal: A built-in Go error check function, "try"» declined ahead of schedule
- Original Apollo 11 Guidance Computer (AGC) source code for the command and lunar modules.
- Models of Generics and Metaprogramming: Go, Rust, Swift, D and More
- Why do 87% of data science projects never make it into production?
- Building small Docker images for Crystal apps
- Go proposal: "Filled types": a mechanism to guarantee types are not nil at compile time
- Lisp, the Universe and Everything
- Lisp lang Style Guide
- Approachable Tooling
- Microsoft Security Response Center: We need a safer systems programming language
- GopherCon 2019 - Generics in Go
- The Go Blog: Why Generics?
- C++20 Is Feature Complete
- Crystal 0.30.0 released!
Cloud & Ops/DevOps
- Microsoft developer reveals Linux is now more used on Azure than Windows Server
- Operating a Large, Distributed System in a Reliable Way: Practices I Learned
- Your nines are not my nines
- The Business Executive's Guide to Kubernetes
- How to invest in technical infrastructure.
- Kubernetes Deployments: The Ultimate Guide
- The ideal DevOps team structure
Business, career, level up, thoughts
- Camille Fournier on Managing Technical Teams
- Missed Understanding
- One man, eight years, nearly 20,000 cat videos, and not a single viral hit
- Mercari Microservices Platform Team: How We Structure Our Work
- You will randomly bomb technical interviews. Everyone does. Here’s the data.
Interesting piece of advice found on reddit:
LPT: The biggest communication problem is that we don't listen to understand. We listen to reply. When in an argument, put your anger aside and actually try to empathise with the other person, so as to defuse the situation.
Also related, this
Open source, Projects & Tools
- typings.gg is a sleek and modern typing test website. it support many custom themes
- Git 2.22 Adds Topology-Preserving, Interactive Rebase
- Firefox 68: BigInts, Contrast Checks, and the QuantumBar
- Tiles to Curves: Fun With Voronoi Graphs (part 1)
- listmonk: Self-hosted newsletter + mailing list manager
- Decentraleyes: A web browser extension that emulates Content Delivery Networks to improve your online privacy
- Watch a Computer Solve a Virtual Rubik’s Cube the Size of a Skyscraper
Privacy, Digital Rights, Security
- It’s not that we’ve failed to rein in Facebook and Google. We’ve not even tried
- China Is Forcing Tourists to Install Text-Stealing Malware at its Border
- Google workers listen to your “OK Google” queries—one of them leaked recordings
- After Microsoft moves its servers back to the USA, German state's privacy commissioner advises schools not to use Office 365
- How the biggest decentralized social network is dealing with its Nazi problem
- Mitigating Poisoned PGP Certificates
- DuckDuckGo Expands Use of Apple Maps for Enhanced Search With the Same Commitment to Privacy
- To Break Google’s Monopoly on Search, Make Its Index Public
- Facebook Embeds 'Hidden Codes' To Track Who Sees And Shares Your Photos
- Microsoft, Google and Apple clouds banned in Germany’s schools
- Google bought my friend's face for $5
- Your Data Were ‘Anonymized’? These Scientists Can Still Identify You
- The Encryption Debate Is Over - Dead At The Hands Of Facebook
- Google reveals fistful of flaws in Apple's iMessage app
- Hayabusa2 lands on an asteroid and sends back amazing pictures to prove it
- The Blue Marble Shot: Our First Complete Photograph of Earth
- Sexual images are just as arousing for women as they are for men
- Margaret Hamilton: ‘They worried that the men might rebel. They didn’t’
- Apollo 11 As They Shot It
- Unhatched Baby Birds Can Amazingly Communicate with Each Other by Vibrating
- A Programmer’s Regret: Neglecting Math at University
- How to pick a random number from 1-10
- Super Mario 64 decompilation
- How France’s equivalent of ‘Monty Python and the Holy Grail’ taught me the sweet loneliness of TV in a foreign language
- 350 Japanese Counters Grouped by Usefulness
- Judge a Programming Book by its Cover
- Rick and Morty first photos from season 4 revealed
- An Animated Map of the Earth
- Notre-Dame came far closer to collapsing than people knew. This is how it was saved.
- Learn more: What is a Multi-Layer Dictionary?
- Use plaintext email
- Netflix creates new executive position focused on inclusion and diversity
- How to Resist by Matthew Bolton review – protest and thrive
- Huge London creates spoof brand guidelines for new PM Boris Johnson
- Phones and washing machines must be made to last, MPs say as Government launches inquiry into 'Tsunami' of e-waste
- Adblocking: How About Nah?
- The Man Who Built The Retweet: “We Handed A Loaded Weapon To 4-Year-Olds”