Web & Frontend (HTML, CSS, JS, Design...)
- You probably don't need that hip web framework
- Anthology of Mute Buttons in Voice Chat Apps
- Stop limiting your open source library’s potential
- Make it hard to screw up driven development
- CSSBattle! CSS code-golfing is here!
- Web Components will replace your frontend framework and HN thread
- Moving from Gulp to Parcel
- Editor.js: Next generation block styled editor.
- A design system for the federal government.
- This is Helvetica® Now
- CSS Houdini More than magic!
- Ember.js: The Documentary
- Google AMP lowered our page speed, and there's no choice but to use it
- Google accused of sabotaging Firefox, again
- Micro frontend: The microservices puzzle extended to frontend
- Svelte 3: Rethinking reactivity
- Why we focus on frontend performance
- Toolsday developer podcast 93: Svelte
- Accenture sued over website redesign so bad it Hertz: Car hire biz demands $32m+ for 'defective' cyber-revamp
- Jen Simmons on Thinking With Grids at SmashingConf SF 2019
The important read of the month:
Backend & other languages
- Lessons learned porting 50k loc from Java to Go
- Go 2 and the future of Go
- The Power of Lifetimes
- Sorbet is a fast, powerful type checker designed for Ruby.
- Three Things I Wish I Knew When I Started Designing Languages
- Rails 6.0.0 rc1 released
- The power of defer in Go: on entry
- What I Learnt Building a Lobsters TUI in Rust
- Red Hat to maintain OpenJDK 8 and OpenJDK 11
- Go 1.13: xerrors
Cloud & Ops/DevOps
- gVisor: A container sandbox runtime focused on security, efficiency, and ease of use.
- The Fargate Illusion
Business, career, Level up
Open source & Projects
- Godot Engine awarded $50,000 by Mozilla Open Source Support program
- You can now download the source code for all Infocom text adventure classics
Privacy, Digital Rights, Security
- Microsoft announces it will shut down ebook program and confiscate its customers' libraries
- Facebook removes exposed user records stored on Amazon's servers
- One of the world's most important programmers, Linus Torvalds, says Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram are 'a disease'
- Hackers beat university cyber-defences in two hours
- Privacy Is Just the First Step, the Goal Is Data Ownership
- How bad can it git? Characterizing secret leakage in public GitHub repositories
- No smoking, no tattoos, no bikinis: inside China’s war to ‘clean up’ the internet
- Amazon Workers Are Listening to What You Tell Alexa
- Publisher Sues AdBlock Plus For Copyright Infringement
- A German court forced us to remove part of a Wikipedia article’s ‘history.’ Here’s what that means.
- It's Time to Panic About Privacy
- Hackers Could Read Your Hotmail, MSN, and Outlook Emails by Abusing Microsoft Support
- Google is eating our mail
- Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg says the ‘future is private’
- First ever real image of a black hole revealed
- Confirmed: New phase of matter is solid and liquid at the same time
- Katie Bouman: How to take a picture of a black hole
- Black Hole Image Makes History
- NASA's Twins Study: Spaceflight changes the human body, but only temporarily
- Astronomers find oldest type of molecule in space
- Stonehenge: DNA reveals origin of builders
- Study: Children Whose Parents Don’t Read To Them Enter Kindergarten With A ‘Million-Word’ Vocabulary Gap
- Adventures of putting 16 GB of RAM in a motherboard that doesn’t support it
- 25 Years Later: Interview with Linus Torvalds
- The Urgent Quest for Slower, Better News
- Japan’s Economy Is Getting a Lot of Things Right
- Your terminal is not a terminal: An Introduction to Streams
- There are officially too many damn video streaming services
- What Is MINIX? Is The World’s Most Used OS A Threat?
- Game Boys have infinite lives. At 30, they live on in unexpected ways
- Why Playing Cards Look Like They Do
- Synchronous Text