News from last month (2019/11 edition)
2019-11-15Last modified on 2022-04-27
Web & Frontend (HTML, CSS, JS, Design...)
- Quick Intro to Using Svelte to Create a Native Mobile App
- Preact X - Virtuous DOM and the Fragments of Suspense
- Service workers at TPAC
- Self Hosted World Maps
- Qt for WebAssembly
- ASPIRE: Ideals to Aspire to When Building Websites
- Interview with a Pornhub Web Developer
- Definitely Typed: The Movie
- Lessons from Design School for Software Engineers
- Svelte Testing Library
- Cypress Testing Library
- The Obvious UI is Often the Best UI
- CSS Circles
- Dark mode
- ClojureScript Macros
- What even is a table? A quick look at Accessibility APIs
- The World-Wide Work.
- Desktop-style cartography with web graphics
- Web Components Have Already Won Whether You Like It Or Not
- A love letter to my website
- Using the Platform
- Immutable State with Immer
- Neon Genesis Evangelion fonts
- Meet Spectrum, Adobe’s design system
- React: Introducing Concurrent Mode (Experimental)
- React: Suspense for Data Fetching (Experimental)
- Mini Tokyo 3D
- As the internet turns 50, we must protect it as a force for good
- Website color schemes that are changing the way we design
- How to Publish Web Components to NPM
- New ReasonReact bsb template!
Backend & languages
- Lua 5.4.0 (beta) now available
- You Can Now Try the Oil Language
- What's coming in Go 1.14
- NestJS introduction
- Understanding Pointers in Go
- Making the Tokio scheduler 10x faster
- Python 3.8.0
- Working with Errors in Go 1.13
- Sizeof in Scala
- Node v12.13.0 (LTS)
- Turbo Pascal vs. QuickPascal
- Obfuscating Lua
- Udemy: Advanced Android with Kotlin by Google
- The Return of 'Write Less, Do More' by Rich Harris | JSCAMP 2019
- The Legacy Of Go
- XML is almost always misused
- Microsoft’s Ready do Contribute to OpenJDK
- 5 things Rob Pike attributes Go's success to
Cloud & Ops/DevOps
Business, career, level up, thoughts
- Tiny acquires Meteor
- I Worked at Capital One for Five Years. This Is How We Justified Piling Debt on Poor Customers.
- I spent a week being wrong online
- Why software developers (quite honestly) hate Agile
- Asynchronous Communication: The Real Reason Remote Workers Are More Productive
- Where do all the censored developers go?
- What Most Remote Companies Don’t Tell You About Remote Work
- Open Source en recrutement
- Mailgun rachète la pépite française Mailjet et crée le leader mondial de l’emailing
- Pourquoi sommes-nous dirigés par tant d’hommes incompétents ?
Open source, Projects & Tools
- PostgreSQL 12 Released!
- New In PostgreSQL 12: Generated Columns
- spotify-tui: Spotify for the terminal written in Rust rocket
- age: A simple, secure and modern encryption tool with small explicit keys, no config options, and UNIX-style composability.
- How Bash completion works
- :rocket: Awesome list of open source applications for macOS.
- Bazel 1.0
- Launchlet: Generalized interface for keyboard-based interaction
- SerenityOS: From zero to HTML in a year
- The Unix Game: Solve puzzles using Unix pipes
- Announcing Distributed Application Runtime (Dapr), an open source project to make it easier for every developer to build microservice applications
- mitt: Tiny 200 byte functional event emitter / pubsub.
- Phantom - forward-thinking concept of OS that's not Linux derived
- letterbox: Go program to batch-process letter-boxing of photographs.
- GNOME files defense against patent troll
- An Illustrated Guide to Some Useful Command Line Tools
- Tor Browser 9.0
- Haxe 4.0.0
- Public datasets: weather and climate
- Notepad++ v7.8.1 : Free Uyghur
- Open-Sourcing the Universal Package Manager
Privacy, Digital Rights, Security
- Read the full transcript of Mark Zuckerberg’s leaked internal Facebook meetings
- Andrew Yang proposes that your digital data be considered personal property
- France Set to Roll Out Nationwide Facial Recognition ID Program
- Samsung ends mobile phone production in China
- Adobe cuts off Venezuela clients, citing US sanctions
- Apple bows to China by censoring Taiwan flag emoji
- Alicem: The origins of the French digital identity
- Beijing Launches New Rule: Residents Must Pass Facial Recognition Test to Surf Internet
- Mozilla unveils 28 horror stories about YouTube’s recommendation algorithm
- Samsung: Anyone's thumbprint can unlock Galaxy S10 phone
- We asked a hacker to try and steal a CNN tech reporter's data. Here's what happened
- Facebook isn’t free speech, it’s algorithmic amplification optimized for outrage
- Alexa and Google Home abused to eavesdrop and phish passwords
- CPDoS: Cache Poisoned Denial of Service
- We Tested Europe’s New Lie Detector for Travelers — and Immediately Triggered a False Positive
- Aaron Sorkin: An Open Letter to Mark Zuckerberg
- The FBI is Tracking Our Faces in Secret. We’re Suing.
- Edward Snowden says Facebook is just as untrustworthy as the NSA
- Babies in the womb have lizard-like hand muscles
- Cracking how 'water bears' survive the extremes, The tardigrade damage suppressor protein binds to nucleosomes and protects DNA from hydroxyl radicals
- Planet Nine may be a black hole the size of a baseball
- Twenty New Moons Found Orbiting Saturn
- String Theory Does Not Win a Nobel, and I Win a Bet
- Earth and Sun
- World's 1st Ebola vaccine gets green light from EU regulator
- Scientists have trained rats to drive tiny cars to collect food
- Are Men Really Funnier Than Women?, paper: Sex differences in humor production ability: A meta-analysis
- The more you know about a topic the more likely you are to have false memories about it
- AlphaStar: Grandmaster level in StarCraft II using multi-agent reinforcement learning
- Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal - The Talk
- Innovative tool analyzes all 22,000 tweets from 2016 Republican presidential candidates
- Google Is Uncovering Hundreds Of Race Conditions Within The Linux Kernel
- Netflix consumes 15% of the world’s global internet traffic
- What is the German word for: “It only works when I try to show you how it does not work”?
- Collision course: why are cars killing more and more pedestrians?
- PayPal becomes first member to exit Facebook's Libra Association
- Void Linux (musl) on the Huawei MateBook X Pro
- Trump’s old lawyers really, really love Comic Sans
- Ken Thompson's Unix password
- Open Libra: An open platform for financial inclusion. Not run by Facebook.
- Japan ninja student gets top marks for writing essay in invisible ink
- MacOS Catalina: Broken
- OECD puts price tag on obesity
- Why Don’t Rich People Just Stop Working?
- Why wear a watch when I have the time on my phone?
- Apple of 2019 is the Linux of 2000
- The teenagers so addicted to cellphones they're going to detox centers
- Mac OS Catalina: more trouble than it’s worth
- A Curated Collection of Vintage Japanese Magazine Covers (1913-46)
- Poll finds over 80% in Japan back female emperor
- Text Editing Hates You Too
- Opinion: 50 years ago, I helped invent the internet. How did it go so wrong?