News from last month (2019/12 edition)
2019-12-10Last modified on 2022-04-27
Web & Frontend (HTML, CSS, JS, Design...)
- Evolution of the Scrollbar
- a design system governance process
- The Evolution of Material Design’s Text Fields
- Inspect This Snake
- Announcing TypeScript 3.7
- Get started with Web Bundles
- Uncommon Use Cases For Pseudo Elements
- React Adaptive Loading Hooks & Utilities: Deliver experiences best suited to a user's device and network constraints
- Semantic sidenotes for the web
- Build your own React
- Developing Web apps using QML and Qt for WebAssembly
- Memories of web development past
- CSS Logical Properties
- Firefox’s fight for the future of the web
- A Layman's Guide to Applicatives in ReasonML
- Multi-Value All The Wasm!
- I created the exact same app in React and Svelte. Here are the differences.
- Angular vs Svelte - Card Component
- Fit on a Floppy
- Techniques for instantiating classes
- Meet WebWindow, a cross-platform webview library for .NET Core: It's like Electron, but without bundling Node.js or Chromium, and without most of the the APIs.
- I created the exact same app in Vue and Svelte. Here are the differences.
- Scaling SVG Elements: Getting an understanding of viewBox
- Happy Hues: Curated colors in context.
- Checklist to avoid the most common accessibility errors
- Microsoft has turned Outlook into a Progressive Web App
- Techniques for a Newspaper Layout with CSS Grid and Border Lines Between Elements
- Testing React Hooks With Enzyme and React Testing Library
- Wired Elements: A set of common UI elements with a hand-drawn, sketchy look.
- Just. Dependency-free Utilities.
- React to the Future
- The two-value syntax of the CSS Display property
Backend & other languages
- The Misunderstood Roots of FRP Can Save Programming
- My first impressions of Rust
- Parse, don’t validate
- Go Turns 10
- Go.dev: a new hub for Go developers
- The Value in Go's Simplicity
- Nim vs Crystal - Part 1 - Performance & Interoperability
- Quarkus 1.0.0.Final bits are here
- Choosing Go at American Express
- Worker Threads are stable in Node.js 13
Cloud & Ops/DevOps
Business, career, level up, thoughts
- Code Health: Respectful Reviews == Useful Reviews
- Mirantis Acquires Docker Enterprise
- Notes on Building Evolutionary Architectures.
- Successfully Merging the Work of 1000+ Developers
- The epistemology of software quality
- The Language Agnostic, All-Purpose, Incredible, Makefile
- Why is Learning Functional Programming So Damned Hard?
- An Engineering Team where Everyone is a Leader
- Compose Your Software
- Novel projects require slow thinking
- How GitHub’s CTO Architects Engineering Teams That Scale
Open source, Projects & Tools
- Linus Torvalds: "Git proved I could be more than a one-hit wonder."
- Athenaeum: A libre replacement for Steam
- Linus Torvalds: 'I'm Not a Programmer Anymore'
- gon: Sign, notarize, and package macOS CLI tools and applications written in any language. Available as both a CLI and a Go library.
- htop explained
- 8 bit Hubble: Generate random pixel art galaxies! In honor of Hubble Space Telescope, SNES videogames and Bob Ross
- Really fast Markov chains in ~20 lines of sh, grep, cut and awk
- Reproducible Arch Linux Packages
- Napflix | Siesta Video Platform.
- The Editable PDF Initiative
- A hands-on introduction to video technology: image, video, codec (av1, vp9, h265) and more (ffmpeg encoding).
- Set theory at the command line
- Are we Wayland yet?
- AnonAddy: Anonymous email forwarding
- Vim: you don't need NERDtree or (maybe) netrw
- Krabby: a web extension (for Chrome, Firefox and surf) for keyboard-based navigation, inspired by Kakoune.
Privacy, (Digital) Rights, Security
- The Fantasy of Opting Out
- I worked on political ads at Facebook. They profit by manipulating us.
- California Sues Facebook for Documents in Privacy Investigation
- Google Confirms Android Camera Security Threat: ‘Hundreds Of Millions’ Of Users Affected
- Cracking reCAPTCHA, Turbo Intruder style
- Facebook: We don’t need your consent!
- The Apache Software Foundation Objects to the For-Profit Sale of the .org Registry
- 'What has happened to me': manga depicting Uighur torture hits 2.5m views
- TikTok says it doesn’t censor content, but a user was just locked out after a viral post criticizing China
- Welcoming the Swiss Government to Have I Been Pwned
- Il y a tant de malwares sur le Play Store que Google a besoin d’aide pour sécuriser Android
- Un hacker publie 2 térabits de données confidentielles de la Banque Nationale des îles Caïmans
- Men and Women (Sort of) Speak Two Different Languages
- Stressed to the max? Deep sleep can rewire the anxious brain
- Spiders and ants inspire metal that won’t sink
- Deadly virus spreads among marine mammals as Arctic ice melts
- The NASA women who inspired 'Hidden Figures' will get Congressional gold medals
- Superfast star found leaving Milky Way at 1,700km per second
- Low gravity in space made some astronauts’ blood flow backwards
- World’s Brightest Light Source Accelerates Electrons to 99.9999999985% of the Speed of Light
- Japan team finds 143 stunning new images in Nazca Lines of Peru
- How Machine Learning Can Help Unlock the World of Ancient Japan
- NASA Scientists Confirm Water Vapor on Europa
- A whole new world: astronomers draw first global map of Titan
- The Architect of Modern Algorithms
- Do Religious People Have a Bias Against Science?
- The Hidden Heroines of Chaos
- Social and Affective Machine Learning
- Earth was stressed before dinosaur extinction
- Disney Is Quietly Placing Classic Fox Movies Into Its Vault, and That’s Worrying
- Japan's kabuki harnesses the Force for Star Wars performance
- Fukushima to be reborn as $2.7bn wind and solar power hub
- An Ikea Catalog From The Near Future
- Bill and Melinda Gates-funded invention could invisibly solve malnutrition
- Nicolas Cage to star as Nicolas Cage in film about Nicolas Cage
- Play Tetris and Snake at the same time
- No more google for console junkies
- 2Methyl – Antlia (Digital EP – Subtrakt)
- Protocols, Not Platforms: A Technological Approach to Free Speech