News from last month (2020/05 edition)
2020-05-02Last modified on 2022-04-27
🎉 I started a new project. It is a package manager called
brrr which is fast (compared to brew). Here are some links:
It is quite unstable for now and packages are mostly for Linux, but I'll try to put more MacOS apps. "It works on my computer" ™️.
Web & Frontend (HTML, CSS, JS, Design...)
- CodeJar – an embeddable code editor for the web
- Luigi: The Enterprise-Ready Micro Frontend Framework
- Course: Deep Dive Into Modern Web Development
- Effective TypeScript: What's the type of JSON.parse(JSON.stringify(x))?
- 10 security tips for frontend developers
- jQuery 3.5.0 Released!
- The Algebraic Structure of Functions, illustrated using React components
- Umbrella JS: Tiny library for DOM manipulation and events
- Routify: Routes for Svelte, automated by your file structure.
- Introducing Crank
- Puppeteer v3.0.0: introducing
- Constrained CSS grids without
- The Quest for the Perfect Dark Mode
- How To Add CSS Dark Mode To A Website
- Svelte society day talks and resources
- Blitz.js: Rails-like framework for monolithic, full-stack React apps — built on Next.js
- Why did is-promise happen and what can we learn from it and is-promise post mortem
- 3 False Assumptions We Made About Our Design System
- Try out the CSS lh unit in Safari Preview
- Using CSS to Control Text Selection
- The beauty of progressive enhancement
- A Critique of React Hooks
- Atomic CSS-in-JS
Backend & languages
- Node.js Changes to Release Schedule
- Crystal 0.34.0 released!
- CuPy accelerates NumPy on the GPU? Hold my Cider, here's Clojure!
- Swift: Google's bet on differentiable programming
- A rant on programming styles : iteration vs recursion
- Crafting Interpreters: A handbook for making programming languages.
- Debugging with Delve
- Zig 0.6.0 Release Notes
- Under Discussion: The Evolution of Swift
- Lazarus Release 2.0.8
- Go Developer Survey 2019 Results
- Node.js version 14 available now
- AXEL: Haskell + Lisp
- Else Before If
- Inlining optimisations in Go
- Middy 1.0.0: Node.js middleware framework for AWS Lambda
- Rob Pike interview: "Go has indeed become the language of cloud infrastructure"
Cloud & Ops/DevOps
- Docker: Announcing the Compose Specification
- Docker: Multi-stage & Caching
- Speed Up Your Development Flow With These Dockerfile Best Practices
- Kubernetes Master Course I: slides and tutorial
- Borg: the next generation
- Docker: Multi-arch build and images, the simple way
Science & Machine Learning
- Lunar Crater Radio Telescope (LCRT) on the Far-Side of the Moon
- An engineered PET depolymerase to break down and recycle plastic bottles
- A star orbiting the Milky Way's giant black hole confirms Einstein was right
- Eurasian Ice Sheet collapse was a major source of Meltwater Pulse 1A 14,600 years ago
Open source, Projects & Tools
- gmailctl: Declarative configuration for Gmail filters
- Anodyne 1 Source Code
- arch-announce -- Arch Linux Announcements
- PBUI project
- lazynpm: terminal UI for npm
- Excalidraw | Hand-drawn look & feel
- OBS (Open Broadcaster Software) Studio
- All ProtonMail apps are now open source, as Android joins the list!
- guitarix is a virtual guitar amplifier for Linux running on Jack Audio Connection Kit.
- Antora 2.3.1
Business, career, level up, thoughts
- Your statement is 100% correct but misses the entire point, also Irrelevant conclusion
- How (some) good corporate engineering blogs are written
- Ask HN: I'm a software engineer going blind, how should I prepare?
- Stop Trying to Be Productive
- Programming is not a goal.
- Failed #SquadGoals: Spotify doesn't use "the Spotify model" and neither should you.
- Process for high performing teams
- "The title 'Front-End Developer' is obsolete."
- Remote work: Engineering’s perspective on humanizing the remote work experience
Privacy, Digital Rights, Security
An interesting quote found on Reddit:
"I need privacy, not because my actions are questionable, but because your judgement and intentions are."<br>—Found on r/privacy
- 'Zoom is malware': why experts worry about the video conferencing platform
- See how your community is moving around differently due to COVID-19
- Does Zoom use end-to-end encryption?
- How to Protect Privacy When Aggregating Location Data to Fight COVID-19
- Snowden Warns Governments Are Using Coronavirus to Build 'the Architecture of Oppression'
- Jitsi: This is what end-to-end encryption should look like!
- How Smart Cities Are Protecting Against Coronavirus But Threatening Privacy
- Growth in surveillance may be hard to scale back after pandemic, experts say
- The 265 members of Congress who sold you out to ISPs, and how much it cost to buy them
- CVE-2020-8835: Linux Kernel Privilege Escalation via Improper eBPF Program Verification
- Amazon reportedly used merchant data, despite telling Congress it doesn't
- Half of Americans have decided not to use a product or service because of privacy concerns
- China is installing surveillance cameras outside people's front doors ... and sometimes inside their homes
- Signal becomes European Commission's messaging app of choice in security clampdown
- Sécurité et télétravail : quelles sont les meilleures alternatives à Zoom ?
- VPN, une fausse bonne idée pour le télétravail
- IKEA (the world's largest furniture retailer) has revealed that 70% of the materials used to make its products during 2018 were either renewable or recycled, as it strives to reach the 100% mark by 2030.
- COVID-19 Kills Renowned Princeton Mathematician, 'Game Of Life' Inventor John Conway In 3 Days
- How to change the world (and five sources of inspiration)
- Treaty on Open Skies
- 48 keys are plenty
- Is That a Penguin in My Bedroom? Keeper Isolates in Zoo During Coronavirus
- Disney to stop paying 100,000 workers but is still on track to give shareholders $1.5 billion
- Origins of language pathway in the brain at least 25 million years old
- See a satellite tonight
- Netherlands commits to Free Software by default
- Petzel: Stream-safe music for Livestreamers
- Post Malone x Nirvana Tribute
- Deserted Tokyo freeway now an open road for 'Roulette Gang'
- The many languages missing from the internet
- This rogue hacker digs up unreleased features on Instagram, Facebook, and Spotify — and she often finds out about them before other employees at those companies do
- A Japanese aquarium under lockdown wants people to video call its lonely eels
- ICANN Board Withholds Consent for a Change of Control of the Public Interest Registry (PIR)