News from last month (2021/08 edition)
2021-08-01Last modified on 2022-04-27
Web (HTML, CSS, JS, Design...)
- Detecting Hover-Capable Devices
- Petite-vue: 5kb subset of Vue optimized for progressive enhancement
- The Enjoyable Illusion of User Control and Freedom
- Using HSL Colors In CSS
- npm audit: Broken by Design
- A Look at Building with Astro
- A Bashful Button Worth $8 Million
- From A Colourblind Designer To The World: Please Stop Using Red And Green Together
- Comparing Design Mockups To Code Result
- Improving the Tesco Loan Calculator.
- Personas vs. Jobs-to-Be-Done
- Heading off confusion: When do headings fail WCAG?
- Thinking About The Cut-Out Effect: CSS or SVG?
- Reddit's disrespectful design
- Palm OS --- How does it look today?
Backend & languages
- Extend Your Language, Don't Alter It
- Towards Inserting One Billion Rows in SQLite Under A Minute
- Crystal 1.1.0 is released! (1.1.1 too!)
- Beautiful ideas in programming: generators and continuations
Other things, good practices, thoughts etc
- The unseen benefits of accessibility
- Why interruptions are frustrating to developers
- Developers can't fix bad management
- Agile at 20: The Failed Rebellion
- Vim is much cooler than you think
- Unix Shell Programming: The Next 50 Years (The Future of the Shell, Part I)
- endoflife.date: Informative site with EoL dates of everything
Cloud & Ops/DevOps
Science, Data, AI
- Why do kids watch the same movie a thousand times?
- Seam Carving for Content-Aware Image Resizing
- DeepMind and EMBL release the most complete database of predicted 3D structures of human proteins
- Behavioral and Neuronal Representation of Numerosity Zero in the Crow
- Worldwide increases in adolescent loneliness
- Albert Einstein was right (again): Astronomers have detected light from behind a supermassive black hole
Open source, Projects & Tools
- It Matters Who Owns Your Copylefted Copyrights
- Audacity Archive Up to Version 2.4.2
- Tenacity, a fork of Audacity
- ArchiveBox: 🗃 Open source self-hosted web archiving.
- Internet Archive 25th Anniversary - Universal Access to All Knowledge
- Introducing Octopilot: a CLI to automate the creation of GitHub pull requests in your gitops workflow
Work, career, level up, thoughts
- How To Stop Being Lazy And Get More Done – 5 Expert Tips
- I struggled with office life. Now others are alive to benefits of remote working
- Lawsuit filed against Activision Blizzard for harassment and discrimination against women
- Why women in tech are so angry all the time
- How to build remote teams properly
Privacy, Digital Rights, Security
- Trump sues Twitter, Google and Facebook alleging 'censorship'
- Concern trolls and power grabs: Inside Big Tech's angry, geeky, often petty war for your privacy
- Remote code execution in cdnjs of Cloudflare
- Introducing Email Protection: The easy way to block email trackers and hide your address
- Amazon hit with $886m fine for alleged data law breach
En français / In French:
- Fait rare, le « Grand Firewall » chargé de censurer l'Internet chinois, a été mesuré
- Sur Facebook, citer Dune entraîne une suspension, mais publier des informations erronées sur la Covid assure une recommandation
- La CNIL s'inquiète que le fichier des dépistages covid devienne un fichier policier
- Why do conspiracy theories flourish? Because the truth is too hard to handle
- When Orcs were Real
- Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak: 'It's time to recognize the right to repair'
- Biden signs order to crack down on Big Tech, boost competition 'across the board'
- Tracee Ellis Ross - A woman's fury holds lifetimes of wisdom
En français / In French:
- Le plasticien qui a vendu une sculpture invisible à 15.000 euros est accusé de plagiat par un autre artiste
- Pourquoi les polémistes sont-ils aussi attractifs ?